Thursday, April 30, 2015

From This To That. Swapping Out Your Toxic Products: Shampoo

     Making the switch from toxic products to organic ones can be expensive! So rather then breaking the bank I continue to use all my previous purchases until they are finished then I swap them out for a safer, healthier organic alternative. This way you still get a better bang for your buck, the only draw back being that it can be a bit of a lengthy process, it might be a while till you've completely swapped out your toxic stash for all organic products.
     About a month ago I ran out of my shampoo and made my first swap. So I've had a good four weeks to test it out and give a mini review. 
         (Check out my list of ingredients to avoid to see what's lurking In your shampoo)

I swapped out my Neutrogena T/Gel Original Therapy Shampoo for Calia Natural Hydrating Shampoo
(I also bought the accompanying conditioner)
I'll start off by telling you a bit about my hair. It's about twenty inches long with a slight wave, it's really fine but I have a lot of it so it gives the illusion of being thicker then it actually is. I tend to get an oily scalp and can't make it past three days without washing. I don't colour it at all and tend to avoid heat styling as much as possible. If I do want to style it I'll let it air dry then I might curl it. It's generally pretty healthy although I do have psoriasis on my scalp and I do find that it does break off easily. I've switched my hair elastics and have started to leave it in a low pony or braid instead of my usual messy bun in attempts to offset the fast rate of oilyness. At one point I was dealing with a lot of hair fall put due to a chemotherapy drug I am taking for a chronic illness, if you've read my about me page you'll know I have IV infusions every six weeks and that drug is part of it, it's since been lowered because of side effects. I was also experiencing vomiting unfortunately I can't go off it completely. But since its been lowered I've been experiencing less fall out.
     I first heard about Calia Naturals over on a fellow Canadian green beauty enthusiasts YouTube channel by the lovely Sarah Nagel called Holistic Habits she is so down to earth and has the most amazing hair!
I am talking serious Repunzel hair here!
Jealous much? I know I am!

     On to the review! I contacted the owners of Calia Naturals and told them a bit about my hair type and what I stuggle with and asked which products they would recommend for my situation. They got back to me within 24 hours and suggested the Natural Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner. You can purchase their products directly through their website or browse through their stocklist to see if they sell at a location near you. 
     I am lucky enough to have a local store in my area that carries Calia so naturally I went right on over and picked up both the shampoo and conditioner for $9.99 each. 



Calia Natural Hydrating Shampoo: Aqua, Elaeis guineenis (Palm oil), Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, Pinus banksiana (Pine) extract, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) extract, Chamomilla recutita (Matricaria) flower extract, Urtica dioca (nettle) leaf extract, Trifolium pretense (Clover) flower extract, Camelia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf extract, Equisetum arvense (Horse Tail) extract, Olea europaea (Olive) fruit oil, Gylcerin, Citric Acid, Lavandula augustifolia (Lavender) oil, Citrus Bergamia (Bergamont) oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Rose Geranium) oil. No animal testing, no animal by products, no sulfates, no DEA (diethanolamine) no sodium chloride (salt) no propylene glycol, 100% Canadian, Hypo allergenic, Environmently friendly

     As mentioned previously this my first natural shampoo so I had no idea what to expect, I was surprised to find out that it does not foam nearly as much as conventional shampoos does which makes sense, since it doesn't contain any chemical foaming agents. Fear not though because it does foam, I also find if you wash your hair twice which is recommended for oily hair that it foams more on the second wash. Keep in mind that the amount of foam in your shampoo does not in any way affect the soaps ability to clean your hair, mind over matter. Even though it's recommended to wash and repeat for oily hair which I do have, I did find my self repeating this step to get that familiar, comforting feeling that a more intense lather gives you which I am more accustomed to with the use of a conventional shampoo.
     I have recently cut it down to one wash only to test out the effect on oily hair and I am glad to say that I can go just as long with out washing as I did when washed twice. And the lack of lather didn't make me run the other way either! I do however still find it difficult to go past the three day mark with out washing my hair although I am glad to say I have occasionally gotten away with it. Plus it smells great!
     My hair seems to be stronger and feels and appears thicker, and healthier, which is definitely a bonus! I didn't expect it to completely get rid of my psoriasis, but it did seem to soothe it, and I did experience a little less itching though not enough to stop using my prescribed topical lotion.
     Calia Naturals do not make any claims that the use of any of their products will produce these results, they do however include some beneficial ingredients to help calm and soothe scalp irritations.  
     Will I repurchase? Yes, you defiantly can't beat the price and it does give great results, however I don't think it's achieved holy grail status as I would love to find a natural shampoo that can get me past the three day mark, I'll always keep some on hand. If your swapping out you're shampoo give Calia Naturals a go! They also have a great selection of skin care and essential oils!
Check back soon for part two where I'll be reviewing the accompanying conditioner.
     What are your favorite natural shampoos?
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment